Thursday, September 23, 2010

Products I Love - Private Label Skincare

I make my living as an artist. A lot of people assume that means I starve. They are mistaken. (Starving artists, for the record, are just wastoids with no talent for living.) I live well. But only because my dollars work hard. Nothing can be wasted when paychecks are small and irregular. My ship is tight.

One of the tricks I've learned over my frugal lifetime is to gravitate toward private label products. Private label or generic or no-name products are on the stores of your supermarket or drugstore right next to the name brands you know and trust. They are usually packaged similarly to the names and often contain identical formulations. But they are considerably cheaper. They can afford to be because they don't have to advertise.

Not all private label products are the bomb. But I'm here to sing the praises of my generic skin care regimen.

Rite Aid Cleanser - a similar formulation to Cetaphil. This stuff is gentle, moisturizing and doesn't irritate. I use it to remove eye make-up without tears. You can use it with water or just massage it in and tissue it off. It makes my face feel like velvet and it costs practically nothing.

Kroger Oil of Beauty - a no-frills knockoff of Oil of Olay, this light moisturizer doesn't clog, irritate or leave a film. It absorbs beautifully, makes a great make-up base and has SPF 15.

These two standbys, along with Garnier Skin Renew Awakening Face Massager - a reasonably-priced gem of a product that is worth every penny - form my basic daily skin care routine.

Skin care is the basis of any decent beauty regimen. Your skin tells all. Do not skimp on skincare. But for heaven's sake, don't spend more than you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment