Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An evening at the Ford

At 6pm last Saturday, I was walking out of the studio cradling a wet oil painting of myself. After a mad dash home to drop off the art and take the dog out, I headed for the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre. Nestled comfortable in the Hollywood Hills, a neighbor of the Bowl, I spent much of my youth in line for the summer Shakespeare performances at this gorgeous outdoor venue, clutching a can of chili as my price of admission. But not tonight. Tonight I was onstage.

About six weeks ago, My Man was hired to perform in a concert presentation of Sparks' new opera The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman. Filmmaker Guy Maddin had expressed an interest in creating the film version of the work and a show and tell was scheduled for the next to last night of the LA Film Festival, in order to generate financing. A small group of exceptional talent was assembled (including some outstanding representatives from the nation of Finland) to demonstrate the potential greatness of the work. Owing to my proximity and general enthusiasm for the piece, I nabbed a spot as an extra (or a super, as they say in the opera world.) Meaning I got to be on that stage. And look out upon a full house. With helicopters flying overhead. And the gorgeous score swelling from behind. And a wealth of gratitude all around me.

The after party was a casual but packed affair in the underbelly of the Ford with a bottle of Maker's Mark and some peanut M&Ms. I couldn't have been more thrilled.

The next day, my household and I were guests at the Finnish Consulate in Bel Air. (Yeah. I Know.) There was smoked fish and chardonnay and new solar panels they were very excited about and bona fide opera singers making conversation with me about The Burning Opera until I had to leave to go perform The Burning Opera.

Sometimes life is so extraordinary that you pause to say thank you to it.

Do keep an eye out for the film. I think it'll be quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment